Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Inspired Writing

I've been considering what to write, and if I should post a short poem that came to me last week, when I realized something about my writing. For the most part, I only write when I'm inspired by something. I don't just write poems and stories about random events, situations, or things-- I write about events, situations, and things in my own life. I cannot come up with a creative idea to write about unless it is inspired by things in my own life and experience. That's why I write the poems that I do, and that's why it can be so hard for me to actually share those poems. The poems that I attempted to write that were not truly from me always sounded forced and I was very unsatisfied with them. So now, most of the poems I have written, whether shared or unshared, come from a deep part of me that is experiencing something of what I wrote. The poems I write are about the hurt and the pain, the struggles and the journey, the hopes and dreams, and they are all mine.

I was trying to determine why I feel so reluctant to actually post what I've written, when I finally realized it's because I cannot pass something off as a cute idea I had, or as a response to something someone could be experiencing. No, the poems I write are about my own experiences, and every one of them means something to me. Every poem I write contains a little piece of me, and I can never decide if I really want to hold on to that piece or to share it with every one. So now it comes out. Rachel uses her writing, and especially her poetry, to express the thoughts and emotions going on inside of her. So when you read her writing, know that you are reading about her.

Anyway, that's what was on my mind. Later on I may post the poem I wrote last week. It's short. Possibly the shortest poem I've written. I feel like I should make it longer, but at the same time, it's complete as it is.

No comments: