Friday, August 14, 2009

The end of summer is here.

In just over a week, everyone will be back on campus (including me), and classes will start. I am not ready for that. I've been "on" campus all summer, but I have not lived on campus, and that fact has made me quite happy. Over the course of the summer I have lived with my rector and his wife, in the basement apartment of one of my knitting ladies along with a friend from school, house-sat at my violin professor's house, and am about to go house-sit for another family. Considering what a good experience I've had at these various homes, I don't want to go back to campus living. I don't want to go back to campus, period. I miss my friends, but I do not miss everyone else. (And I certainly do not miss school.) I guess you could say that in some ways, this summer has spoiled me. (Both spoilage and damage have occurred this summer.) I want to go home. I've had enough of this whole school thing.... *sigh* I guess it's too bad that I'll have a few more years for further schooling after DePauw. Despite the stress that the upcoming crazily busy semester holds for me, I am determined to enjoy the rest of my summer. I have actually enjoyed this past week, even though I didn't think I would. It helped that I have been staying with my rector and his wife again, so I'm not all alone in a great big ranch like I was for the past month. Plus they have two absolutely adorable kittens, *squeal* who are such cuddle-bugs. Another good thing is that I haven't been all alone at work like I have been all summer. The guy who helped me catch up during the first week of summer, and who worked last week while I visited home has been helping out, since we are receiving a lot more mail now in anticipation of the students' return to campus. So that's been fun. He is a brat, teases everyone and causes trouble, but it's been fun. And he got me a free bike! He found out that I walk 20 minutes to get to work everyday, and that I have no car or bike. So he called up the service center (where he usually works), and asked someone to see if they still had those random bikes in the storage room they wanted to get rid of. Then after work, he took me over and helped me find the one that was in the best condition. It's an old Huffy Saratoga 3-speed bike. Apparently a classic. It has a nifty little basket that I can put my backpack in, and an awesome little bike bell! The bike itself is a nasty yellow and has this hideous leapard seat cover, but oh well. At least it works. I was a little sad to know that my housing situation this coming year has me so much farther away from everything on campus, but now I have a bike! I'm sure I look pretty dorky when I ride it around, but oh well. So that is something good from this week. Another bit of fun has to do with my knitting ladies. I came back to Indiana Monday afternoon and visited with a wonderful friend, before going to knitting that evening with her and the other ladies. It was great to see them all again. That night, most of us decided to get together the next evening and go see Julie and Julia at a nice, really big theater together. I had my reservations about the movie, thought it sounded pretty lame, but we actually had a wonderful time, and even stopped for icecream afterward. :D Then on Wednesday I met with two of the knitting ladies again after work, and saw many of the group that evening at a concert. Yesterday I got to see a friend who was visiting campus, and that was nice. I dind't actually have anything to do yesterday evening, so I was able to sit around with my rector and his wife, chat, watch tv, and finish reading King Lear. (I have also been doing a lot of practicing this week.... trying to prepare for Sunday, when I will be the pianist at a church in town..... eek!) Today after work, I had the chance to strengthen a new friendship while figuring out a commissioned hat I will be making soon.

Gosh, I just realized that I need to pack up tomorrow morning and move yet again... I should get to bed now. I will try to write more coherent posts in the future.

No comments: