Thursday, February 17, 2011

From Darkness Into Life and Love

A trust that has been shattered is no easy fix
It’s not enough to wrap it up tight in a box
Lid firmly down, lock securely latched
Hoping no one will ever notice or care
One day someone will come along
They’ll want to see inside and know you

Then comes the panic, the rush of fear
I can’t let them see, the mess is too great
Can what was broken be made whole
Do I dare let them touch the pieces
The terrible longing to try, to release
The desperate hope that all is not lost

The desire to be whole and open consumes
But defenses are not easily lifted and let go
Will the bruised spirit have the faith to fly
The need to try outweighs the fear
Hope fights despair, and battles the terror
Uncertainty is the vice, the eager trap

But freedom must be obtained
The warmth of the smile softens the bonds
Delight awakens the flickering spirit
Awakens and gives it wings to soar
Will I have the courage to lift off
Or will fear and uncertainty prevail

One thing I now know to be true
I feel so alive when I’m with you
This desire to let you in is alarming
Never have I felt it so strongly
Now is the time to take the leap
A new adventure is waiting for me

No comments: