Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Yay all-nighters

So..... yeah, I didn't go to bed until 6 this morning, and even then I hardly slept at all due to the constant cycle of information and analysis going through my head. At least I finally finished the great big time line for my symphonic lit class (finished that at 2 am), and created my entire presentation (which kept me busy until 6 am) . I think it went pretty well, despite the technological problems I always have. It was definitely rather intimidating to have the other prof sitting in on the class, but I felt pretty confidant in my materials. (but, meh, my prof made me wear my sandals.... she's noticed that I go barefoot everywhere, has commented on it, but when I showed up to class today she said I needed to put some shoes on. I was very sad at that.) I've discovered that I can stay up all night very successfully. All I have to do is make it past a certain point, usually right around 2 or a little later, and then I get my second wind and I'm alert and good to go the rest of the night. But yeah, I have a couple more super late nights ahead of me. There's still that huge paper due on Friday that I haven't started yet, and my psychology quiz tomorrow. I'm actually intending to get some sleep tonight so that I can survive an all-nighter Thursday night. I probably shouldn't be blogging right now, but I'm rather burnt out and don't want to jump back into any more studying just yet. At least I'll mix things up a bit by studying for psych first, and then spend a couple hours on my paper before sleeping. Tomorrow I'm sure that I will have to stay up all night and morning writing the rest of the paper. Unless....... I can get an extension..... I have never asked for an extension on anything before. It's just not something I think about doing. But I've had several people tell me I should ask my prof for an extension on this so I can actually sleep a little. I know my prof pretty well and he's one of my absolute favorite people here, so I think he'll give me an extension..... but it still feels weird to ask. Makes me feel like I'm not working as hard, or not performing up to par or something. I dunno, it just doesn't feel right. But, I definitely want to sleep, and be able to put more time into this paper. I emailed my prof..... I don't know if he'll check his email before tomorrow, so I will continue with my plan of spending a few hours on the paper tonight before sleeping, then tomorrow I'll find out if I have to do an all-nighter or not.

Actually, want to know a secret? Well, it's not much of a secret really, but I haven't exactly made it public knowledge. It's my birthday today. My 21st, in fact. Of course, my family knows, and many people from back home know through the church newsletter (it contains the birthdays for each month), but I took my birthdate off facebook last year after my birthday and only my closest friends here actually know my birthdate. Knowing that I'd be turning 21, I didn't want all the pressure from everyone about going out to party and drink and all that, so I figured the easiest thing would be to just remove the information.

I suppose you could say (and you'd be right) that today has been the lamest 21st birthday, or just birthday in general. Who wants to spend the first several hours of their special day still up from a night of working on projects? Who wants to go to all their classes, turn in a project and deliver a presentation on their birthday, all while trying to exist on approx. 3 hours of very restless sleep? And then, there's no party, so special dinner, just the normal routine of grabbing food at the hub, and no cake. :( And, haha, I'm not going out for my first "adult" drinks. At least the weather was really nice today, and though I didn't have any special dinner, I didn't have to sit alone but ended up sitting with a friend and talking about our respective plans for the future. (Yay for thinking about grad schools and jobs in the future.) I have gotten several birthday wishes on fb (which I must confess I reactivated solely so that Daddy could tag me in his now traditional birthday tribute album, and so that I can wish him happy birthday tomorrow. After that I will deactivate it again.), was tagged in a really sweet album from when I was young and cute, received birthday texts from my brother and sister, and received a package in the mail from my sister! :) That definitely made my day.

Anyway, I should stop procrastinating and get to work on stuff now. I'll just have to come back to the topic of the oh-so-grand 21st birthday and how I remain individual and independant of the traditional mold another time. And guess what? I just got an email back from my prof saying I can send in my paper on Saturday instead of Friday!!! YESSS! Oh sleep! Wonderful wonderful sleep! We shall become reacquainted and I shall strive to get on better terms with you.

No comments: